Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dreams of Archival and Preservation Work

This week in IST 511 we explored the wonderful Special Collections area of Bird Library. Dr. Ken Lavender showed us some extremely rare and fascinating books; David Stokoe showed us what he was working on in his conservation lab; and Peter Verheyen also showed us some of Bird Library’s preservation techniques for circulating materials. As our professor, Dr. Lankes, warned us at the beginning of the semester, I was yet again left with a feeling of “Now, that’s the type of librarian I want to be!”

I think the feeling might stick this time, though. Preservation and Archives have been in the back of my mind since I first became interested in pursuing a degree in librarianship. While I like the idea of working in a public library to give information to the masses, the preserving and mending of old, sometimes ancient, books is much more enticing to me. I worked in the processing department of my undergraduate university’s library for two years, and directly handling books (working with my hands) was my favorite part of that job. There is an odd sort of satisfaction in knowing that you have mended a previously damaged book and allowed it to circulate and be of use for at least a little while longer.

While I’m obviously very interested in preservation and archival studies (I work in Bird Library’s Belfer Audio Archive, and am actually running for secretary for the SU student chapter of the Society for American Archivists (SAA)), I still find myself hesitant about obtaining SU’s Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Cultural Heritage and Preservation. Part of it is the money and the time (I believe three extra courses are required) but my other hesitation is the fact that, although I think I would like to eventually go into archives, I would rather take classes in all areas of the library field during my time at SU. Instead of focusing on one CAS and one specialty, I think I should be a well-rounded student so that I’m more qualified for whatever job comes my way when I graduate. I hope this is a smart decision!
  
By the way, I think I want to attend the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC—don’t you love all these library acronyms?!) which will be held this year from November 11-13 in Harrisburg, PA. Hopefully I can volunteer and go for free (crossing my fingers)!

No comments:

Post a Comment